Exercise Referral Diploma Course
Increasingly, GP’s and healthcare workers are prescribing exercise for health conditions. In response to the increasing demand for Exercise Referral Specialists, our Exercise Referral Diploma Course delivers the exact skills needed. The future of the fitness industry is linked to healthcare, both in a regards to physical therapy and preventative safeguard. This diploma enables forward-thinking fitness professionals to steer a career towards GP exercise referral.
Primarily this full time, 5 day course is for those who want to work in GP Exercise Referral. It is ideal for Personal Trainers wishing to broaden their knowledge and work with clients with specific conditions. The diploma allows for personal development and progression within this fascinating field, and is therefore ideal for anyone wishing to become a Level 4 qualified instructor.
The Focus Training Exercise Referral Diploma leads on to a nationally recognised qualification. As a result it takes an in-depth look at a range of conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis and mental health conditions. Above all, the course identifies how exercise can improve quality of life and help clients achieve their goals.
This course is ideal for anyone looking to specialise in GP exercise referral work. Above all, a GP Exercise Referral Diploma Course is the foundation of a rewarding and specialised career in the fitness industry.
What will I learn on my Exercise Referral course?
- Pathophysiology, treatment, special considerations for:
- Cardiovascular conditions: Atherosclerosis, hypertension, high cholesterol,
- Mobility related conditions: Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, lordosis, kyphosis, scoliosis, spondylosis (spinal arthritis) joint replacement
- Mental health conditions: Anxiety, stress and depression
- Other conditions: obesity, diabetes type 1 & 2, asthma, COPD (chronic bronchitis and emphysema)
- Related exercise benefits and implications
As an Exercise Referral Specialist, it will be your job to advise these clients on how to enhance their well being through a planned programme of exercise and nutrition. Key areas of focus include:
- Collecting information to plan an exercise referral programme
- The principles of risk stratification in exercise referral.
- Current UK healthcare systems and the exercise referral process
- Accepted methods of treatment/ management of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes
- How to programme safe, effective exercise programmes for patients with specified exercise referral medical conditions.
- Medication (over counter and prescription) and exercise implications
- Behavioural change and motivational interviewing
- Safe and effective progressive exercise programming
- Setting up and coordinating exercise referral schemes
How is the Exercise Referral Diploma Course delivered?
The course is delivered in five days over a two week period. All your assessments will take place at the course venue.
What learning materials will I receive for my Exercise Referral course?
All the learning materials for this courses are available online through our unique online learning portal, a virtual classroom which guides you, section by section, through your course.
If you don’t already hold a Level 3 Personal Trainer qualification, to help you complete the Anatomy & Physiology and Nutrition units, you’ll also be able to access all the online learning materials for this course too.
As with all Focus Training courses, we aim to make learning as easy and enjoyable as possible. Everything you need, including facts and essential information is clearly presented. There is even a quiz at the end of each section so you can test yourself. If you need it, a hard copy of the course manual is also available for a small additional cost.
How will I be assessed on the Exercise Referral course?
Your assessment will take place during the course and will include a practical assessment and a case study.