Exercise Referral Diploma Course
As GP’s and healthcare leaders increasingly focus on prescribing exercise for health conditions, it’s no surprise that the demand for Exercise Referral Specialists is on the up.
This full time, 5 day course is for those that want to work in Exercise Referral, broadening their knowledge as a Personal Trainer to work with clients with specific conditions, or progress onto becoming a Level 4 qualified instructor.
Our nationally recognised Exercise Referral qualification takes an in-depth look at a range of conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis, mental health conditions and many more – focusing on how exercise can improve quality of life and help clients achieve their goals.
What will I learn on my Exercise Referral course?
- Pathophysiology, treatment, special considerations for:
- Cardiovascular conditions: Atherosclerosis, hypertension, high cholesterol,
- Mobility related conditions: Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, lordosis, kyphosis, scoliosis, spondylosis (spinal arthritis) joint replacement
- Mental health conditions: Anxiety, stress and depression
- Other conditions: obesity, diabetes type 1 & 2, asthma, COPD (chronic bronchitis and emphysema)
- Related exercise benefits and implications
As an Exercise Referral Specialist, it will be your job to advise these clients on how to enhance their well being through a planned programme of exercise and nutrition. Key areas of focus include:
- Collecting information to plan an exercise referral programme
- The principles of risk stratification in exercise referral.
- Current UK healthcare systems and the exercise referral process
- Accepted methods of treatment/ management of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes
- How to programme safe, effective exercise programmes for patients with specified exercise referral medical conditions.
- Medication (over counter and prescription) and exercise implications
- Behavioural change and motivational interviewing
- Safe and effective progressive exercise programming
- Setting up and coordinating exercise referral schemes
How Is The Course Delivered?
The course is delivered in five days over a two week period. All your assessments will take place at the course venue.
What learning materials will I receive for my Exercise Referral course?
All the learning materials for this courses are available online through our unique online learning portal, a virtual classroom which guides you, section by section, through your course. If you don’t already hold a Level 3 Personal Trainer qualification, to help you complete the Anatomy & Physiology and Nutrition units, you’ll also be able to access all the online learning materials for this course too. All the facts and information you require are clearly presented to make learning as easy and enjoyable as possible, there’s even a quiz at the end of each section to test yourself. A hard copy of the course manual is also available at an additional cost.
How will I be assessed on the Exercise Referral course?
Your assessment will take place during the course and will include a practical assessment and a case study.